Sunday, September 9, 2007

Britney Spears loses it; I'm not far behind

I'm a pop culture junkie - I admit it. Everyone who knows me even moderately well knows I can't resist celebrity gossip and that I watch more reality TV shows than anyone should be allowed to (being an insomniac 8.5 months pregnant on modifed bed rest doesn't help).

So I just got off the phone with my sister in San Francisco. She doesn't have cable TV, so I gave her a breathless 15-minute critique of the MTV Video Music Awards: "Sarah Silverman's jokes were funny but really inappropriate, and pretty vicious - typical of her, you know. And I missed her performance, but I just read reports that Britney was a total train wreck!" I announced. "I saw the photos and someone should have told her not to wear that outfit - she should have canceled instead of going onstage like that. Is she nuts? I mean, I know that she just had two kids and that takes a toll on your body, but I'm sure no one forced her to wear that sequined bikini! Oh, and I didn't see this part either, but I guess Kid Rock and Tommy Lee got in a fistfight in the audience during Alicia Keys' performance!"

After I hung up with my sister, I sent an email to a friend who is a fellow pop culture addict, inviting her to dish with me.

Then I had a moment of clarity.

I'm 37, it's 1:48 a.m. and I'm calling and emailing people about Britney Spears' latest antics.

Who's the real biggest loser here?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dude! You should have called Jeff and I. We were right there watching the train-wreck, having a wonderful time. Don't feel like a "loser." Sometimes smart people need to feast on brain candy.

Anonymous said...

Definitely not a loser. That performance was a complete tour du force. Though, trainwreck is played out, so I'm going with "mid-air plane collision"

Carlier said...

Hey Chiu, it's been a while hasn't it! I agree that Britney looked a hot mess and should have just stopped herself before it was too late...but I guess it is.

Brenna said...

I have to admit that, against my better judgment, I feel kinda sorry for Britney....

Unknown said...

yes! i'm glad other people (bethany and jeff) have volunteered to be on the receiving end of your britney tirades...cause while i like gossip as much as the next guy, it's a bit overwhelming when your big sister wants to talk endlessly about a 25 year old has-been for half an hour.

L. Liu said...

oh, come on, linda! you're the queen of pop news! are you telling me you've passed that title on to your sister?

i have to admit that i'm down the with latest ET, Extra, and H. Access news. next time you need to chat about it, i've seen them all!!