Sunday, July 15, 2007

Working from home

I've been working from home this month and so far, it has not really limited my ability to perform my job, except in preventing face-to-face contact with my boss, my team and other colleagues on campus. I have been able to maintain close contact with my team and with media contacts via email and phone, though. In fact, I think I'm more accessible than ever because I'm not running around campus or spending time in meetings all day anymore! Without being in the media relations office bullpen, I also have much longer, quieter, uninterrupted blocks of time to work on projects.

People at work, generally, have been really supportive. I know my situation has been really confusing. It's been difficult for me, so I can only imagine what other people think about it. My team has been awesome through this ordeal. Despite the fact that I'm now working from home, they've been good at staying in close contact with me about work issues, while still reminding me to keep things in perspective and take care of my health first and foremost.

The whole situation, though, is making me think about what will happen once the baby arrives. People have been asking me what my plans are for returning to work and how long I will be on medical leave. I really can't answer those questions until the baby does arrive. I don't know what's in store for us. This pregnancy has been a bit unpredictable, so it's impossible to know what things will be like once that baby is here.

Still, I am thinking about what my work-life situation will be like a few months from now. I wonder if working men think about these issues as much as working women do.

No comments: