Sunday, August 5, 2007

Labor and delivery - part deux

I had to go to Labor and Delivery on Friday again. This time, I was working from home when I noticed a little of bleeding, so I called my OB-GYN to let him know. He said to go to the hospital and that he'd tell his partner on call to expect me. Like last time, I called my dad to make arrangements for Nico to stay with my parents in case we would be tied up at the hospital. It's a good thing my dad works right next to University Hospitals!

This time, instead of staying for a few hours and going home, I was told I'd have to stay at least overnight. While I was in the triage area, I had to undergo urine and blood tests again. The charge nurse hooked me up with belts to monitor the baby's heart beat and uterine contractions, just like last time. This time, though, she also stuck an IV plug in my wrist in case I'd need to be administered medication. She said there was a chance I'd have to take steroids to develop the baby's lungs if the doctors decided to deliver. Deliver? I wasn't ready for that possibility. A few people asked me a bunch of questions I wasn't prepared to answer: Do I have a living will? Do we want to circumcise the baby? Do I want my tubes tied after delivery?

After the tests came back, I was admitted into the High Risk ward and given a private room. It was nicer than being in the triage area, but still demoralizing to have to be there. I wasn't allowed to get up except to go to the bathroom. I ate three hospital meals during my stay (sugar-free chocolate pudding is kinda gross).

On Saturday, I had a little more spotting so I had to stay longer than I hoped. I missed Nico's last swim lesson of the season - Vic had to take him without me. Nico also had a Big Brother-to-Be class at the hospital, just a floor away from me, but I was still supposed to stay put, so I missed that too. After his class, Vic and Nico came to my room and Nico had fun elevating and lowering my hospital bed. That kid loves to push my buttons, literally!

Finally, I was allowed to go home, so Nico was happy to wheel me out in the wheelchair. I don't know why I wasn't allowed to walk out on my own, but I guess it's hospital policy.

It was great to be out of the hospital. Even though I was only there for 24 hours, it felt much longer than that. I'm so tired of CNN Headline News and Sudoku!


Bob said...

Lisa, I hope you're hanging in there OK. Now that there's a chance you could be taking steroids, I think you should begin swinging the old baseball bat. 756, here you come!

linda said...

haha. funny comment bob. the bay area has been going nuts over the homerun. but with some practice and yes, lots of steroids, maybe lisa can beat that record!

Lisa said...

Bleh. I am NOT a Barry Bonds fan!