Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Return to work

Tomorrow morning, I go back to work after several weeks of maternity leave. I return to my position as director of media relations at Case Western Reserve University (also my undergraduate alma mater).

I'm feeling somewhat anxious about my return as I'm worried about how I'll be able to juggle challenging home and office responsibilities. It's the classic work-life balance struggle that many working moms face. I want to be productive and efficient at work without compromising the health and happiness of my family. A while back, my friend Sandy Piderit, an organizational behavior professor, shared a resource with me for working moms: http://www.momsrising.org.

I've had a lot of time to think about this and there are some definite ideas of workplace flexibility I hope to pursue. As for the work itself, I have some specific goals I'd like to accomplish when I get reacclimated. I was re-reading the media relations vision statement I developed when I was a candidate for the position I'm in and I found that everything I wrote more than a year ago still holds true today. I'll probably fine-tune it in the next week or so.

One of the first things I need to do when I get in the office is find a place to pump!

2 comments:

Meg said...

Hmm. Where could you go, Lis? Wait a sec -- I know! We have a Mother/Infant Lactation Room here at the nursing school.

See, we *heart* new mommies the most on campus. :)

Anonymous said...

The med school has a lactation room, too, as part of the first-floor women's restroom just inside the security door. There's a BIG sign outside so you can't miss it.