Friday, January 20, 2006

Maybe pretty much always means no

Even though Nico is only three years old, he's already figured out that when I say "maybe", what I really mean is "never".

I don't recall ever playing Jack Johnson/Ben Harper's song "Might Just Let It Go" for him, but it seems that he totally relates to the lyrics:

It seems to me that maybe
It pretty much always means no
So don't tell me you might just let it go
And often times we're lazy
It seems to stand in my way
Cause no one no not no one
Likes to be let down

I didn't realize it but I say "maybe" a lot to him. He'll ask if he can go see the stegasaurus outside the Cleveland Museum of Natural History Museum and I'll say, "Maybe". Then we don't go.

It's so early for Nico to become cynical and I hate that he thinks my word means nothing. He's started to turn the tables on me now too. I'll ask him if he wants to use the potty and he'll say, "Maybe next time". To him, that means "never" too.

No comments: